Author Notes: This is the poor man's version of truffle salt. Just as delicious for a fraction of the price. - MyFareFoodie
Makes about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup Dried shiitake mushrooms, ground
- 3/4 cups Coarse sea salt
- drops Black truffle oil (if desired)
- Grind dried mushrooms in a food processor, spice/coffee grinder, or in a mortar and pestle until the mushrooms resemble the size of sea salt granules.
- Mix in salt. If desired, add a few drops of truffle oil and mix.
- Keep in an air tight container in a cool dry place. The longer that the salt sits, the more the mushrooms will infuse it.
- Notes: Any other dried mushrooms can be used in this recipe. Shiitakes provide a subtle taste, whereas morels or actual truffles offer more pungency. I added a bit of truffle oil to my salt to boost the flavor.