If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If I had to pick a cocktail to be the only one I could ever drink again my choice would be the Aviation. It is a classic from the early 20th century, and it's formula is 2 oz gin, 1/2 oz maraschino liqueur, 1/2 oz lemon juice, and 1/4 oz crème de violette. Sometimes the violet liqueur is left out, but then the cocktail doesn't have the lovely clear pale purple hue from which it derives its name. I have created an ice cold summery rendition of the drink, substituting frozen cherry juice cubes for the Maraschino liqueur. I hope you enjoy! - hardlikearmour
Cherry Juice Cubes
- 1/2 pound sweet cherries
- 2 large lemons
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pit your cherries and place them into a blender. Juice your lemons, straining out any seeds, into the blender. Add sugar. Blend until cherries have been thoroughly liquified. If your blender has trouble add up to 1/4 cup water.
- Stain cherry juice into a glass measure, through a fine mesh strainer to remove most of the solids. Press out as much liquid as possible. Add water to a total volume of 1 & 1/2 cups of cherry juice. Stir.
- Pour into an ice cube tray (or more if needed.) Freeze until solid (at least several hours.)
- Note: this will make enough cherry juice cubes for 2 batches of the cocktail. Alternately use additional cubes in limeade, to keep your Red Skies icy cold for longer, or eat them like mini-popsicles.
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) freezer cold gin (Aviation preferred)
- 3/4 ounce (1 1/2 T) crème de violette
- 1/2 batch Cherry Juice Cubes
- lemon juice (optional)
- Combine gin, crème de violette, and cherry juice cubes in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste, and stir in lemon juice if desired.
- Divide between 2 cocktail glasses. Kick back and enjoy!
- Note: If need be you can omit the crème de violette. It adds a nice floral note, but the cocktail is still tasty without it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.