Author Notes: New York in a heatwave: I made chilled melon soup with a frisson of hot chile. The next day was even hotter and I had some cold soup left in the fridge. Idea - a good base for a tall, cool drink? Enter rum and lime juice - sweet, sour, herby, spicy, heady. Exit one happy imbiber...
This makes a jugful of smooth melon and mint soup or drink base. Keep the rum in the icebox.
(For a virgin version, add seltzer instead of rum.) - Marie Viljoen
Chilled melon, jalapeño and mint soup
- 6 cups ripe Hami or other melon
- 1 lime's juice
- 15 fresh mint leaves
- 1 seeded jalapeño
- 1 pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients until very smooth. Chill.
- 5 parts melon soup
- 2 parts fresh lime juice
- 2 parts white rum
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 sprig fresh mint for garnish
- Blend the soup, rum and ice cubes until the latter are crushed. Pour into a tall glass, add 2 more ice cubes and garnish with mint. Roll on, summer!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail