If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: New York in a heatwave: I made chilled melon soup with a frisson of hot chile. The next day was even hotter and I had some cold soup left in the fridge. Idea - a good base for a tall, cool drink? Enter rum and lime juice - sweet, sour, herby, spicy, heady. Exit one happy imbiber...
This makes a jugful of smooth melon and mint soup or drink base. Keep the rum in the icebox.
(For a virgin version, add seltzer instead of rum.) - Marie Viljoen
Chilled melon, jalapeño and mint soup
- 6 cups ripe Hami or other melon
- 1 lime's juice
- 15 fresh mint leaves
- 1 seeded jalapeño
- 1 pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients until very smooth. Chill.
- 5 parts melon soup
- 2 parts fresh lime juice
- 2 parts white rum
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 sprig fresh mint for garnish
- Blend the soup, rum and ice cubes until the latter are crushed. Pour into a tall glass, add 2 more ice cubes and garnish with mint. Roll on, summer!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cast your vote!
Mortar and pestle perfection.