If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: About 10 years ago my husband gave me The River Cafe Cook Book by Ruth Rogers and Rose Gray for Christmas, and to this day, it's one of my favorites. During the fall and winter months, one of my go to dinner party recipes is my slightly adapted version of the Roasted Whole Veal Shank (Shinco Arrosto). But full credit goes to Rogers & Gray for this delicious version of osso bucco. —jvcooks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 6 cross cut veal shanks (osso bucco)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1-14 oz. can diced plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 to 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- zest from one lemon
- In a heavy sauce pan, heat olive oil and brown shanks on all sides. Take the time to really brown the shanks well so your left with all those flavorful brown bits in the pan. Remove shanks from the pan and season well with salt and ground pepper.
- Add celery and onion to the pan and cook until soft. Add the thyme and cook a few more minutes. Turn the heat to high and add the white wine. tomatoes and stock, and bring to a boil. Make sure you scrap up all the brown bits at the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Lower the heat to a simmer and return veal shanks to pan. Cover the pan and cook at a slow simmer for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is falling away from the bone.
- About 20 minutes before the veal shanks are done, add the carrots.
- Mix the chopped parsley and lemon zest and set aside. This is referred to as gremolata, but I do not care for raw garlic so I have omitted it. But please feel free to add some if you like.
- Serve veal shanks with pan juices and vegetables and sprinkle with gremolata. Don't forget to serve with a spoon to get all that yummy marrow!
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.