Author Notes: inspired by a pre-dinner cocktail I had at a Four Coursemen dinner in Athens, GA...this cocktail is so summery, light and nice because it's flavorful while still being relatively low in alcohol. It's a gourmet wine spritzer, sort of! Prickly pear syrup is surprisingly easy to find at most liquor stores or gourmet shops. - runwithtweezers
- 1/2 ounce blood orange bitters
- 3/4 ounces prickly pear syrup
- 8 ounces cold vinho verde
- 1-2 sprig basil sprigs or flowers, mint sprigs, lemon thyme or lemon verbena, for garnish
- Fill an oversized highball glass or stemless wine glass with 8 to 10 ice cubes.
- Pour in blood orange bitters then prickly pear syrup. Top with Vinho Verde.
- If you want to leave the drink slightly "layered", do not mix. Otherwise, gently stir together.
- Garnish & serve immediately…although I will say this drink is delicious when it gets super chilly and sits for a minute – no need to chug it!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail