Author Notes: Those kinds of summer drinks are decadent, full of vitamins and no one will suspect that they are fat free, but they are! A pitcher or a glass of either drink is wonderful on a hot day.
I also use similar macerated berry or fruit combinations for topping ice cream, sorbet, cakes, bread puddings, in parfaits with yogurt and granola for breakfast.
For the Sangria
- • 2 pints strawberries
- • 2 cups blueberries
- • 3 tablespoons Triple Sec or Grand Marnier
- • 2 cups blackberries or raspberries or 1 cup of each
- • 3 tablespoons Agave nectar
- • Zest and juice of 1 large lemon or 2 limes
- • 5-6 cups good quality red wine such as a Pinot Noir, Merlot or Pink Prosseco, chilled
- • Ice cubs
For the Santeaia
- • 6 cups water
- • 4 tea bags of Earl Gray with Bergamot
- • 1 cup orange juice
- • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- • 1/3 cup sugar ( optional)
- • 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar for macerating, instead of liqueur
- • Ice cubs
- To make the Sangria: Wash berries (except raspberries) and dry well but gently in a large colander lined with paper towels. Depending on size, halve or quarter strawberries. Put all berries in a large bowl. Add Agave nectar and the liqueur.
- Grate lemon zest and then squeeze the juice through a strainer, over the berries. Cover and let sit at room temperature not more than 1 hour. If made in advents, keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- To serve, equally divide the macerated berries between 8 wine glasses, pour the wine and stir gently. Top with ice, if desired.
- To make the Santeaia: Use the same method and ingredients (just replace the liqueur with balsamic vinegar) for macerating the berries.
- To make the tea part: Bring water to a boil. Put tea bags in a pot or large pitcher; pour boiling water over the tea bags. Add sugar, if desired. Let steep 20 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and cool; then chill well. Stir in orange and lime juices just before pouring over the macerated berries. Top with ice, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail