If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am cooking a lunch for about 50 people and for dessert they requested Chocolate Banana Cream Pie. My problem is that bowls of precut bananas get brown and mushy. So, I made banana jam and used that as the banana layer. And, the great part is that I can make the pies the day before the lunch which will give me lots of free time....right? - dymnyno
Makes 1 large tart
Banana Jam (adapted from Fine Preserving by Catherine Plagemann)
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- fresh ginger,about 1/2 inch knob, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest the lemon or use a knife to cut pith free thin strips and cut them into confetti sized pieces.( or you can just use a zester) Then squeeze all the juice out of the lemon. Remove the seeds.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot boil the water and the sugar for about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the ginger and cool the jam.
- 1 whole egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup organic brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- melted semi sweet chocolate block or semi sweet chocolate morsels (enough to coat the crust of the tart)
- Your favorite pie crust recipe
- In a large saucepan, bring the cream almost to a boil.(scald)
- In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and brown rice syrup together.
- Gradually add the hot cream to the egg mixture. (temper) Mix thoroughly. Set aside until ready to assemble the tart.
- Blind bake the pie crust for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
- After you remove the pie crust from the oven, brush the crust with melted chocolate. (I use a 2 inch paint brush) Cool.
- Spread a layer of banana jam over the cooled chocolate. Then pour the vanilla cream over the banana jam. *****Note: If there is more jam than you need for the tart; refrigerate the leftover jam...it's great on toast!
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the cream layer starts to turn golden.
- Cool and garnish with whipped cream and a couple slices of fresh banana.
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
Good day, sunshine.
Gifts for Mother's Day
Make better cookies.