Author Notes: I am cooking a lunch for about 50 people and for dessert they requested Chocolate Banana Cream Pie. My problem is that bowls of precut bananas get brown and mushy. So, I made banana jam and used that as the banana layer. And, the great part is that I can make the pies the day before the lunch which will give me lots of free time....right? - dymnyno
Makes 1 large tart
Banana Jam (adapted from Fine Preserving by Catherine Plagemann)
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- fresh ginger,about 1/2 inch knob, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest the lemon or use a knife to cut pith free thin strips and cut them into confetti sized pieces.( or you can just use a zester) Then squeeze all the juice out of the lemon. Remove the seeds.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot boil the water and the sugar for about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the ginger and cool the jam.
- 1 whole egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup organic brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- melted semi sweet chocolate block or semi sweet chocolate morsels (enough to coat the crust of the tart)
- Your favorite pie crust recipe
- In a large saucepan, bring the cream almost to a boil.(scald)
- In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and brown rice syrup together.
- Gradually add the hot cream to the egg mixture. (temper) Mix thoroughly. Set aside until ready to assemble the tart.
- Blind bake the pie crust for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
- After you remove the pie crust from the oven, brush the crust with melted chocolate. (I use a 2 inch paint brush) Cool.
- Spread a layer of banana jam over the cooled chocolate. Then pour the vanilla cream over the banana jam. *****Note: If there is more jam than you need for the tart; refrigerate the leftover jam...it's great on toast!
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the cream layer starts to turn golden.
- Cool and garnish with whipped cream and a couple slices of fresh banana.