If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a savory use for strawberries. They're not only for sweet uses. Macerating the berries in balsamic vinegar or red wine for a few hours turn them into a perfect topping for beef, chicken, or pork. The brown sugar rub included in this recipe is amazing for any kind of beef cut you put on the grill.
- 2 cups siced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside at room-temperature to macerate, about 2 hours.
Brown Sugar Rub and Flank Steak
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark is fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipolte chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular can be used as well)
- 1.25 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Preparing the Brown Sugar Rub: Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until well-combined. This is enough for 1-1.25 pounds of meat. Feel free to double or triple or even more for larger cuts or to have some on hand at any point. Store in an airtight container if not using right away.
- Preparing the flank steak: Trim the flank steak to your liking. Place between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to desired thinness (this will also help tenderize this cut of meat). Take pounded cut and rub your try rub in, using all of it, on both sides so the meat is covered. Now, grill to your desired doneness (we like medium rare in this house). Take off the grill, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so. Slice into 4 pieces. Serve topped with balsamic strawberries and crumbled gorgonzola cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.