If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted to get the flavors of a Moroccan Tagine into this dish without turning on the stove. it's 99.9 degrees in the shade at 6:00 pm! OK so I turned it on for just a few minutes to toast the spices - but that's it. Of course if you don't live where it's Africa hot you can cook this indoors in a griddle pan .... —aargersi
- 1 teaspoon whole fenugreek seed
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1/2 preserved lemon
- 1 cup frozen artichoke hearts (defrosted)
- 1/2 cup chopped green and black olives (use what you have - I had green lemon olives and oil cured black olives)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - the good stuff
- olive oil - the cooking stuff
- feta cheese
- Toast the whole spices in a dry skillet for a few minutes until the smell fragrant and fabulous. Put them in a grinder (or use a mortar and pestle) along with the remaining spices but not the salt. Grind everything into a coarse powder. Then stir the salt in. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of the steak and let it sit for about a half an hour.
- Heat the grill to medium high. Drizzle steak, lemon and artichokes with the cooking olive oil. Put the steak on then verrry carefully lay the artichokes across the bars of the grill so they don't fall through. Put the lemon on too. Grill for 2-3 minutes and flip the steak, then verrrrrry carefully flip the artichokes. Flip the lemon.
- In another couple minutes, flip the steak again and pull the artichokes and lemon off - they should be nicely marked but not burnt. Flip the steak one last time and in aboute a minute it should be medium rare. Pull it off and head in.
- While the steak rests, roughly chop the artichokes and lemon. Mix them with the tomatoes, olives and herbs. If everyone in your house likes feta, mix that in too (about a 1/4 cup should do) if not serve it piled on the side.
- Slice the steak and serve up! Pretend you are in Africa (which is how hot it is here - did I mention that?)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Barbecued Meat
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Fruit roll-ups are baaaaack (and homemade)!
Have a ball (jar).