If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been making a version of this refreshing black-eyed pea salad ever since I saw the original recipe in The Fresh Market Cookbook. It is perfect as a side dish for Summer barbecues. But faced with having to make something more substantial for dinner one night, I turned the salad into a complete meal by adding some leftover chicken and serving it on crispy flour tortillas. Garnished with sour cream or guacamole, this is not your ordinary meal. You can eat it standing up with lots of napkins. The crunch of the tortillas and the coolness of the salad is perfect for a hot summer's night. —lakelurelady
- 1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 6 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Rinse black-eyed peas in a colander. Place peas in a pot of salted boiling water, cover and bring back to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Combine cooled black-eyed peas and next 6 ingredients in a serving bowl. Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Pour over salad and stir to combine. Add shredded chicken and stir into salad.
- Place 1/4 cup canola oil in a large skillet. Heat oil. Add tortillas one at a time and fry until both sides are browned. Remove to paper towel lined tray.
- Assemble tortillas. Spoon salad mixture on each one. Dollop with sour cream and/or guacamole and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.