If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a great dish for summertime grilling. The tomatillo salsa complements the steak perfectly. But beware, it has some kick to it, so if you're not a fan of heat, remove the seeds from the jalapeño before adding it in. - MissNortho
- 16-24 oz flank steak
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons corriander seed
- 1 dash Tabasco (optional)
- To prepare the flank steak mix all of the ingredients except the steak together in a large bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a plastic Ziploc bag and add the steak. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours. I recommend marinating the meat for the maximum time, if possible, to really let the flavors set in.
- Remove steak from the marinade and grill on medium/high heat for 4-6 minutes per side (for medium rare).
- Allow the meat to sit for 5-7 minutes after removing from the grill to allow the juices to settle.
- Slice against the grain and top with tomatillo salsa to serve.
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 fresh jalapeño, chopped
- 1/2 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarsely puree tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, garlic, water, salt and lime juice in a blender until relatively smooth (mixture will still be a little chunky).
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepot and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. This allows the moisture released from the tomatillos to cook down.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool to room temperature or refrigerate to chill.
- Stir in cilantro, cumin and lime juice and salt to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.