Author Notes: While its not hard to recklessly toss away the green tops of daikon radishes when they're store bought, the whole equation changes when you've grown the vegetable yourself. My first attempt at a home vegetable patch yielded a crop of spicy watermelon radish, replete with a luxurious green crown & there was no way I was wasting any! - Panfusine
- 3 cups chopped radish greens
- 1 medium red onion cut into thin strips
- 2 cups diced Yukon potatoes
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper powder
- 1 pinch sugar
- Lemon juice as required
- In a skillet, heat the oil till smoking and add the whole mustard, cumin & fenugreek seeds. when the mustard sputters and the fenugreek turns golden brown, add the onions & saute till soft.
- Add the potatoes along with the salt, turmeric & cayenne. Reduce heat, cover & cook till the potatoes are soft. Sprinkle some water if necessary.
- add the radish greens toss to combine & cover again. Cook for about 5-10 minutes on low heat till the leaves have wilted.
- Sprinkle some sugar & remove from the stove.Drizzle lemon juice & serve with warm roti or tortillas.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips