Author Notes: Upma may be described as the South Indian equivalent of Grits. Traditionally made from semolina, It makes for a nutritious tasty and quick breakfast. The .semolina is toasted to prevent it from getting mushy in the cooking process and is cooked along with a variety of vegetables. A variation on the traditional version is the 'semiya' upma made from vermicelli (probably the most well known type of pasta in India.
This recipe makes use of stellini pasta, a shape traditionally used for soup, but works wonderfully for a kid friendly breakfast. - Panfusine
- 6 ounces Stellini pasta
- 1/2 a small cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 small green chilli (finely sliced)
- 1 inch piece Ginger finely chopped
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder(optional)
- Juice of one lime/lemon
- Salt to taste
- Toast the pasta on a skillet on low heat till it begins turning golden. Keep stirring the pasta while it changes color since they can get burnt quite quickly. Remove from fire.
- In a large container, boil sufficient quantity of water (with salt added). add the pasta & cook (toasting tends to lengthen cooking time, it takes about 2-3 minutes more than the time listed on the packaging for regular water & Once cooked, rinse off the starchy water drain and set aside. Add a tsp of oil to keep the shapes from sticking. Once the pasta has been strained out,use the starch water to boil the peas till they're done. Set aside.
- Using the fine side of a box grater, grate the cauliflower florets. This shreds the florets down to the size of couscous ( a fine middle eastern pasta in the shape of tiny beads).
- Add 2 tbsp of oil and the red chili powder to the cauliflower, spread on a lined baking sheet & roast at 400 C till golden. (~ 10 min), remove, transfer into a bowl & season with salt.
- In a skillet, Add the remaining oil, heat till near smoking, Add mustard. and allow to sputter & pop.
- When the mustard begins sputtering, add the onions, chopped green chilli, ginger, asafetida & salt. and saute till the onions turn translucent. add the pasta, peas & roasted cauliflower and toss till all the elements are well combined. Transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle with lime juice prior to serving.