If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A piadina is an Italian flat bread that can be topped with an infinite number of ingredients. Start with your favorite flat bread or even pizza dough recipe. I prefer to use a piadina as the base, and this recipe for the bread is inspired by a Giada DeLaurentiis recipe.*
While many of the components of this recipe can stand alone, the sum of its parts makes for a delicious and complex flank steak vessel. - Jen Balletto
Steak and Marinade
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs • Fresh parsley and rosemary to taste
For the salad, puree, and piadina dough
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup water (approx.)
- 1 cup olive oil
- ground semolina for dusting
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 4 sage leaves
- 2 lemons
- zest of one lemon
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1/2 in. coins and roasted for 25 minutes at 375 degrees
- 1-2 bunches arugula
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced paper thin (use a vegetable peeler if necessary!)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Combine all ingredients for the steak marinade with your flank steak and place in a freezer bag removing as much air as possible. Lay your freezer bag into a baking dish and refrigerate. Steak can marinate for a minimum of 2 hours, but preferably overnight. Remove the meat from the refrigerator approx. 30 minutes before grilling.
- For the piadina, mix flour, baking soda and 1 tsp. salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, or hand mixer, using the dough hook attachment.
- Add the butter and combine with the mixer. With the machine running, slowly add the water until the dough forms.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and kneed for 8-10 minutes, or until smooth. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Steps 1-4 can be done in advance
- While your meat is marinating and dough is resting, prepare the bean puree and arugula salad. For the bean puree, drain and rinse the cannellini beans and set aside (or cook beans fully if using dried).
- In a small sauce pan heat 3/4 c. olive oil, and add minced garlic, sage, and crushed red pepper over medium low heat for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Combine beans, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, lemon zest, and yellow squash in a food processor. Pulse to begin the puree. Slowly add the prepared olive oil mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and reserve the bean puree
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ c. lemon juice, ½ tsp. mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in ¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil and dress the arugula and red onion.
- Prepare your grill or grill pan.
- Divide your dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion out to ¼ inch thickness. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and the underside with semolina.
- Grill the piadini and flank steak for 4-5 minutes per side. Grill the steak directly over a high flame to ensure caramelization.
- Allow your steak to rest for 15 minutes. In the meantime, spread bean puree over each of the piadini.
- Thinly slide the steak against the grain on a bias. This slicing method is important to preserve the tender texture of the meat.
- Final Assembly: Place a layer of the dressed arugula over the bean puree and top with a layer of flank steak. Finish with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil (one of finishing quality) and light sprinkling of sea salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.