If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Truly fusion! Familiar Vietnamese spring rolls with Korean-style beef inspired by ideas from my grandmother's and mom's kitchens (don't tell either that I messed with their recipes). - knoh —knoh
Food52 Review: There are many things rolled into this recipe to love. The dipping sauce is the perfect Asian-inspired condiment. It's salty, spicy and has an element of surprise that begs the question “just what’s in this smoothing things all out?”. The steak marinade pops the beef with sweetened soy and jalapeño heat. The shrimp provides a snappy texture to the finished roll. I will make these again but I’ll drop down to a single wrapper (having two plus the noodles yields an overly gelatinous feel) and next time I’ll add fresh basil or mint for a burst of flavor and color. - cheese1227 —cheese1227
Makes 12 spring rolls
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 piece ginger, about the size of your thumb, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Mexi Coke
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, including seeds and ribs
- 1 pound flank steak
- 24 rice spring roll wrappers
- 12 small leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- 4 ounces maifun rice stick, cooked and cut after cooking
- 18 medium shrimp, cooked and halved lengthwise
- For the marinade, process garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, Coke, vinegar and jalapeno until smooth.
- Trim fat from steak. Pour marinade over steak. Cover and refrigerate for four to 12 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30-60 minutes prior to cooking. Rub off marinade.
- Heat oil in iron pan on medium-high heat. Place steak on pan and cook for four to six minutes, depending on thickness. Turn and cook for another three or four minutes. Let steak cool considerably. Slice against grain into fairly thin slices.
- Bring four cups of water to a near boil and pour into wide, shallow bowl. Immerse rice wrapper into hot water and lay onto large plate. Repeat and place one more sheet onto same plate directly over first rice wrapper. Set plate aside and repeat with two more rice wrappers. Always prep one plate ahead to allow wrappers time to absorb water and to cool slightly.
- Arrange ingredients in prepped wrapper on the third that's closest to you. 3 shrimp halves (they look pretty when the shrimp shows through), 1 lettuce leaf, 1 small handful of maifun and 1-2 slices of steak. Roll into a snug log, tucking ends in, like a San Francisco-style burrito. Repeat til you're done. Serve on the same day. Do not refrigerate.
Scallion Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and minced (double the size of your thumb)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon gochukaru (Korean crushed red pepper)
- 1/2 cup neutral oil such as grapeseed
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste ... all ingredients are to taste)
- Mix all ingredients together and serve with assembled spring rolls.
Just Butter Isn't Better
Why making your own ghee is worth it
Make your own ghee.
The dreamiest foods around.
Stop slamming salad.
A can-do tool.