If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pizza stones branch out and multitask....from flat breads to flank steak.
When it was ready, we huddled around the chopping board where slices of cumin scented meat strips awaited.....and ate the night away.
Makes a platter for a family snack
- 1 piece flank steak - at room temperature, about 650 g (I split my orginal 1.3kg piece in half) - pounded to flatten/tenderise
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- To serve - green pesto, with basil and spring onions; herb tomato quarters
- Place a rack one step from the bottom of your oven and place your pizza stone on it. Set the temperature to 250 deg C (very hot) and preheat for 20 minutes
- While the pizza oven is preheating, lightly season the piece of steak with a pinch of kosher salt - ensuring both sides are salted. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, make the melted butter sauce. In a mortar, crush the cumin seeds and peppercorns. To this add 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and the dried oregano. In a pan, melt the butter - just before it is fully melted, add the spice mixture and gently toss/stir to let the spices 'flash cook'. Remove from heat and add the oil. Stir again and allow to cool. Reserve 1 tablespoon of oil to glaze the steaks once cooked.
- Gently wipe dry the steak and then brush on the herbed butter-oil mix on both sides of the steak. Place in the oven, on the pizza stone and allow to cook for 5 minutes on one side. Flip over and allow to cook on the other side for 5 minutes - btw, keep your windows open. My kitchen got super smoky...... Cooking for 10 minutes will result in a 'done' steak, cook for less time if you want it medium - rare. Remove from the oven, brush on the remaining oil-butter mixture and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice into thin strips across the grain. Serve with sides...or eat standing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
Well, This is Appeeling
Tomato skins, meet salt
Tomato skins, meet salt.
This weekend's reading.
It's time to travel.
Out of the park toppings.
Put cake on a pedestal.