If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My sister & I have been making a version of this since we had our first apartment together in Boston. We used to have an unauthorized mini grill powered by a blow torch canister, ah, those were the days. This is best grilled over coals, but a grill pan or the broiler will work in a pinch. Serve with brown or white rice to sop up all the sauce... —Helen's All Night Diner
Serves 6 plus leftovers
For the Flank Steak
- 12 ounces good quality ale
- 1/4 cup neutral flavored oil
- 1/4 cup Shoyu or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh galangal, grated on a microplane
- 3 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane
- 3 tablespoons tequila or dry sherry
- 1 bunch scallions cut into 2" pieces, divided
- 2 pounds flank steak, more or less is ok
For the Salad
- 2 cucumbers, peeled & thickly sliced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves picked from the stem
- 1/3 cup good quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup olives, your favorite mix
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- salt & pepper to taste
- The day before you want to serve this: Mix the beer, oil, Shoyu, dark brown sugar, galangal, garlic, tequila and half of the scallions in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Place the flank steak in a large zip top bag or other container large enough to hold the steak. Add the marinade, squeeze out as much air as possible, close top of bag. Squeeze the bag to distribute the marinade & scallions. Place the bag in a shallow pan in the fridge and allow to marinate overnight. (You can marinate for as little as 4 hours, but longer is much better.)
- Take the meat out of the fridge an hour before you plan on putting it on the grill to allow it to come to room temperature. Remove the steak from marinade & place on a plate to drain. Reserve the marinade in a separate bowl. About an hour before you plan to eat, mix all the salad ingredients in a bowl, and toss gently. Cover and let sit at room temperature until dinner is ready.
- Light a charcoal grill & allow the coals to come to a nice even gray color. Grill, turning once, until desired doneness. I prefer medium rare and wouldn’t go beyond medium.
- Remove to a plate, cover with foil, and allow to rest for about 20 minutes before slicing. In the mean time, strain the remaining marinade into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer for a few minutes until slightly thickened. Toss in the remaining scallion pieces, stir, and turn off heat. Cover and hold until ready to serve.
- Slice the steak across the grain. Serve with the reserved marinade and salad. Great with brown rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
Just Butter Isn't Better
Why making your own ghee is worth it
Make your own ghee.
The dreamiest foods around.
Stop slamming salad.
A can-do tool.