If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The Hummus Place in Manhattan serves an incredible version of shakshuka (a spicy tomato stew with poached eggs and haloumi cheese). This is an incredibly flavorful, healthy, and cheap dish for a weeknight dinner (not to mention fast!) —Posie Harwood
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Anaheim chiles
- 1 yellow onion
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 28 ounces can of San Marzano tomatoes, whole
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- several slices haloumi cheese
- 4 eggs
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven (make sure there is room for all ingredients!)
- Add diced onion and chopped chiles and cook until softened.
- Add minced garlic, cumin, and paprika and cook for a minute or two while stirring often so as to not burn ingredients.
- Add tomatoes and bell peppers and 1/2 cup water. Slightly crush the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon and let simmer until the mixture reduces and thickens, 12-20 minutes depending on heat and preference of texture.
- Gently crack eggs over the surface of the stew. Cover and let poach for several minutes --- baste the whites carefully. Add sliced haloumi cheese and a sprinkle of sea salt before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.