If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ahh burgers: food of the Gods and the best part of summer if you ask me. What's not to love about a juicy and messy burger studded with pieces of spicy jalapeños, smothered with smokey mayo and topped with melted cheese? This is my favorite kind of burger to make and beats the hell out of your regular burgers. Top with anything you like, I always serve mine with sweet potato fries- something about dipping them in ketchup and chipotle mayo makes them so good! —mpittsm
For the burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- couple grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices Monterrey Jack cheese
For the chipotle mayo
- 3 finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup mayo (or for a healthier version use equal parts mayo and nonfat Greek yogurt)
- In a small pan, over medium heat, saute the jalapeño and onion with one tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle with salt if desired, and let cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, salt, the rest of the olive oil, salt, pepper, and the jalapeño and onion mixture. Mix until it’s just combined, the more you mix the beef, the tougher your patties will be.
- Lightly form into 4 hamburger patties and press lightly into shape.
- Prepare a charcoal or a stove-top grill.
- Cook the hamburgers for 4 minutes on 1 side, then turn and cook 3 minutes on the other side for medium-rare. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Allow the hamburgers to rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grill the buns, cut side down, for 1 minute, until toasted.
- Place a hamburger and a slice of Monterrey Jack in each bun, spread the chipotle mayo on each piece of bread and add whatever toppings you desire, and serve hot.
- Combine the mayo, chipotle pepper and lime juice in a small bowl. Mix until well incorporated, add salt and pepper if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
This pasta's mint to be.