If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chilaquiles (chee-lah-kee-lays said with a bit of a Texas Twang) are one of those dishes with as many variations as cooks. They often include chicken, additional veggies, some people use tortilla chips, some lots of cheese. I like to use several types of chilis, as each chili has its own character and I think this lends a bit more complex chili flavor. They are served at any and every meal as well - this version is breakfast - starting the day with a little warm chili kick in the pants will make all right with the world! (ps fiveandspice says three kicks in the pants are good luck, so I changed the name of the recipe) —aargersi
- assorted roasted peppers, I used a poblano, a big jalapeno, and an anaheim - about a cup of chili strips. I use either the stove top or grill method.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 yellow onion - thinly sliced
- 4 corn tortillas - slice into 1" stips and halve those
- 1/2 cup Ranchero sauce plus more for service *http://www.food52.com/recipes/4086_ranchero_sauce
- 2 poached eggs
- a pinch of salt
- lime and cilantro to serve
- Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the tortilla strips and onions, and a pinch of salt. Stir them a bit to coat with butter. You want to stir them occasionally but not too much - the onions and tortillas will toast nicely (see photo). You can get your egg poaching water ready now too. Slice the peppers into strips as well.
- When the tortillas and onions have some nice brown parts and some crispness, put the eggs in to your poaching water. Add in the pepper strips to the skillet and toss them a bit, then add in 1/2 cup ranchero sauce and just toss. Turn off the heat. Scoop half the mixture into each of 2 dishes, then top each with a poached egg, some cilantro and a wedge of lime.
- Dig in - pour some extra ranchero on as you go!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
Recipe of the Day
It's in the bag.