If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Beans and rice are filling and delicious and can be an entire meal. This is my version of Jamaican rice and beans, I like to serve with grilled meats or fish. The rice is first stirred in saucepan with the cooked onions, then boil the rice in coconut milk, water, some of the water from the beans and two whole jalapeno peppers.The peppers cooked whole imparts no heat just the flavor. You can break up the peppers in the rice after it's cooked to really feel the heat - sdebrango
- 1 cup Dried pigeaon peas, cow peas, or whatever kind of dried bean you like. Soaked overnight
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 small/medium onion chopped
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water or unsweetened coconut water I use Zico
- 1 cup reserved water from cooked beans
- 2 whole jalapeno peppers
- salt and pepper to taste
- After beans have soaked over night, drain and pour them into a med saucepan add 2 cups of water and cook until beans are tender.Season the beans with salt and pepper. Set them aside along with 1 cup of the water that the beans cooked in, you will need that to cook the rice.
- To a large saucepan add a small amount of olive oil just enough to coat the bottom of the pan when pan is hot put the chopped onion in and saute until onion is soft and translucent, add rice and cooked beans you judge how much of the beans to add to the rice you don't want too many beans, stir until rice and onion and beans are combined. Add all the liquid, some salt and pepper to taste and the peppers. Bring to a boil on high flame, cover and reduce heat to med/low and let rice cook until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is done it will take 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat, fluff rice with fork and serve, you can garnish with fresh thyme or cilantro.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
The Underrated Pantry Hero
A love you never knew you had for Cracklin' Oat Bran.
Cereal = Dessert
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Recipe of the Day
The Daily Grind
A Shoo-In Salad