If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I learned to make this in the Hidalgo mountain range near Pachuca Mexico about 15 years ago. It was like nothing I'd ever had out in Fresno California where I'd grown up. Even the language was different. And PS...they don't share their recipes down there either. You have to figure it out for yourself ! LOL —MamaZephra
Serves 6 or more
Hot Side(on the stove)
- 3+ pounds Whole Chicken
- 2 quarts Water
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 5-6 sprigs Cilantro
- 1-3 Jalapenos
- 20-25 Medium sized Tomatillos
- additional Salt to Taste
- 24-36 Corn Tortillas
Cool Side(on the cutting board)
- 1-2 Large Heads of Iceburg Lettuce
- 1-2 Large Avacados
- !-2 Large Fresh Tomatoes
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion
- 1 bunch of Fresh Radishes
- Half to 1 pounds Queso Fresco
- On the hot side, put your Chicken in a large pot and pour in water. Add 1 TBS salt, heat to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and let cook until chicken begins to fall apart.
- While chicken cooks, clean and prep your half red onion, 2 cloves garlic, jalapenos 5-6 sprigs cilantro and peel and wash your tomatillos. Set these items aside for a few minutes.
- On the cool side, wash and shred your lettuce. Cut your avacados in half, remove seed, peel and slice lengthways into strips. Dice tomatoes and red onion. Slice very thin disks of radish. Keep these items cool until time to assemble dish.
- Your chicken should be done. Remove all of the chicken from the broth and set aside to cool slightly before removing meat from bone and skin. Add your onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and tomatillos to the hot broth. Bring to boil again and let boil 5-10 minutes. Blend up all the veggies in a blender until smothish. Reduce your broth to about 1 quart in the same pot that you've done all your cooking in but do not throw out, you may need it to keep your chicken meat juicy. Pour your tomatillo smothie into the pot with broth. Nows the hard part, taste, salt to taste. Don't be stingy with the salt in this dish. De-bone your chicken and keep warm in the broth you removed from the pot.
- Last step...I know...finally ! On large deep plates or platters, place a generous amount of shredded lettuce over serving area of plate. Over one side of the lettuce sprinkle with diced tomatoes, diced red onion, and radishes then lay strips of avacado in a fan over that side. On the other side heat your corn tortillas and roll them up as tight as possible. Nothing inside, place 3or4 of them side by side on the other half of lettuce. Take a handfull of shredded chicken and cover the tortillas. Use a soup ladle and pour the green chili over chicken, tortillas, and even the fresh side. Crumble or shred Queso Fresco over the dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.