If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A friend of my brother's who lives in East Texas (Jefferson, to be exact - be sure to visit the Excelsior and the Jefferson hotels. They are rumoured to be haunted!) cans her own jalapeno relish that is absolutely delicious. This is loosely based on what I loved about hers. I love cranberries and try to use them when I can. They add a lovely sweet-tart note to this relish. Use fresh cranberries when you can, though. This relish would be divine on grilled sausages, burgers, pizza topping or even vanilla ice cream. It could also be stirred into mayonnaise for a quick tartar sauce for baked, fried or grilled fish. - gr8chefmb
Makes 4-6 cups, depending on peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground salt
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 6 whole allspice
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon. broken in half
- 1 pound jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced crosswise [use a mandolin if you have one]
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- In a Dutch oven, place water, vinegar, sugar and salt over medium heat. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Place dill seed, mustard seed, peppercorns, allspice, cloves and cinnamon in the center of a 12-inch piece of cheesecloth folded in half; tie corners securely in two knots or use kitchen strong to tie securely closed. Add spice bundle, jalapeno peppers, onion, carrots and cranberries to saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, discard spice bag and allow to cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.