If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got the idea for this recipe from thelunacafe.com, and it's been a crowd pleaser ever since. - erinmcdowell
Makes a very full 9x13" casserole
- 1 1/2 pound pasta
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 20 ounces canned green chiles
- 1 bunch green onions, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 10 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (reserve 3 oz for topping)
- 10 ounces pepperjack cheese, grated (reserve 3 oz for topping)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernels
- Lightly grease a 9x13" casserole dish, and preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until just tender, 6-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring the milk and cream to a simmer. Add the garlic, chiles, and green onions. Simmer gently for 2-4 minutes. Cover the pot and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Puree the mixture until smooth, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sweat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is lightly golden, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk/cream mixture and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in the cheeses (remember to save some to sprinkle on top!) until they're nice and melted.
- Add the pasta, peppers, and corn and toss well to fully coat in the sauce.
- Pour the pasta into the casserole dish, and top with the reserved cheeses. Bake in the preheated oven until the sauce is bubbly and heated through, 30-45 minutes. It can be assembled up to one day ahead and baked when ready.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe