If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a few cacciatore recipes that I make in the fall and winter months, but for summer I head for the grill. I slip in a little hot pepper oil or a pepper when I know that some guests can stand a little heat, but normally the red pepper flakes are enough heat for most. - ibbeachnana
- 1 whole chicken cut up and seasoned with salt pepper and a touch of ground red chile flakes
- Season a whole cut up patted dry chicken with EVOO salt, pepper and a touch of ground red pepper flakes, grill over medium high heat until well browned, but not completely done. *Cut the chicken into 8 pieces. Everything can be prepped and the cacciatore can be prepared completely on the grill for a fantastic dinner Al Fresco
Cacciatore sauce ingredients
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and halved, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, quartered and cliced
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced into strips
- 1 yellow pepper cored, seeded, and sliced into strips
- 1 cup dry white wine (I use red if there is some open)
- 2-3 cups chicken broth or stock
- Juice of 1 grilled lemon and a bit of lemon zest
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, with their juice, crushed or and equal amount of fresh plum tomatoes
- 6 ounces fresh tomato sauce
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano leaves, chopped or a teaspoon of dried
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 Bay leaf
- Garnish with a little more parsley before serving
- grated cheese for garnish
- The pepper assortment is a guideline, today I picked more peppers so I have quite a variety. In a large sauté pan over medium high heat add the oil and butter, sauté mushrooms until they have a little crispness to them remove them from the pan. Add the peppers and onions sauté until soft add garlic and sauté for a minute or two. Add the wine, stirring to pick up any pan goodies, add the chicken and simmer until almost all of the wine has evaporated. Stir in capers, the tomatoes, 2 cups of the chicken stock or broth, lemon juice and zest, tomato sauce, herbs and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 45. Add mushrooms and simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Garnish with additional minced parsley a little freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, serve with pasta of your choice, for the summer version I make saffron orzo.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
This is poppin'.