Author Notes: As a kid, I remember my folks roasting and canning bushels of peppers in late summer and early fall..sweet ones, hot ones...peppers mixed with other vegetables. As a result there was always a form of a pepper salad on the table at all family events. Now I don't can ,but I do keep the tradition of a pepper dish on the table at family dinners and usually always have them sitting in the fridge. This simple salad is one of our favorites. I like it a little spicy and add some hot pepper to it...but you can totally skip the spice and still get good flavor. - inpatskitchen - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: The first thought that comes to mind: Susan Boyle. Given the dull green of the roasted peppers, the salad does not impress much visually, but it bursts out in glorious flavor the instant it hits your tastebuds and nose. This spicy, tangy, smoky summer salad epitomizes deliciousness, it is so satisfying. Versatile enough that it defies categorization, it can be eaten as a salad, relish, salsa, condiment, even a vegetable side. Given the uncertainty in a jalapeno’s heat, I opted to use ½ the amount specified, with great results. It’s awesome whether you eat it the instant it’s made, or after a couple of hours in the fridge. - Panfusine
Makes about 4 cups
- 6 large cubanelle peppers
- 2 Hungarian hot peppers or 4 jalapenos
- 1 cup seeded, cored diced tomatoes
- 1 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Roast the peppers on a gas grill or on the stove top until they begin to blacken and blister a bit. Cover and set aside until cool.
- Once cooled, peel and remove the seeds and stems. Cut the cubanelles into a one inch dice. Very finely diced the Hungarian hots or jalapenos until they're almost like mush.
- Combine everything in a bowl and then park in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors blend.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe