If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These flavorful biscotti are great with coffee or on their own. Give them as a hostess gift and you'll be invited back again and again. - NWB
Makes 18-24 cookies
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 plus 2 TBS cups your best cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 dried guajillo chile
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs, one separated
- 1 tablespoon room temperature coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- sea salt
- Melt butter. Break dried chile in half, remove the top inch of the chile by the stem and set aside. Add the coffee to the butter. Steep dried chile and cinnamon stick in butter for one hour.
- Remove stem from remaining chile. Grind chile finely.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ground chile, and salt into medium bowl.
- Remove chiles and cinnamon stick from the butter. Combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and one whole egg and one egg yolk in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add flour mixture to bowl with the butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Put dough in the refrigerator for fifteen minutes.
- Line baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper. Turn dough on to baking sheet (it will be sticky and if you have to scoop it out that's fine). Form dough into one log that is about 3-4 inches wide and almost as long as the cookie sheet.
- Brush egg white over the dough. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Once it is cool enough to handle cut the log into 1/2 inch cookies. Set cookies on cut side and return to oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and flip the cookies over and bake for another 12 minutes.
- Remove to rack to cool. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
Shop Spring Cleaning
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Simple, Springy Leek Soup