If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: On a ridiculously hot day the one thing that is welcoming is always ice cream. Owning an ice cream maker allows you to be creative with ice cream flavors and try things that you can't find at your neighborhood ice cream shot. So, the challenge of creating a recipe using chili peppers made me want to create something that was the best of both worlds - a nice cool flavorful ice cream with the kick of jalapenos. found that combining the sweetness of pineapple with the citrusy herbal flavors of jalapenos to be a winning combo. The end result definitely has a distinct fresh pepper flavor - but I thought it was very refreshing for these hot summer days that we are having. - There'sAlwaysPie
Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinches of salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper - julienned
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 of a fresh pineapple cut up
- 1/2 jalapeno - minced
- 1/2 fresh pineapple - diced
- Warm the milk, 1 cup of cream and sugar in a saucepan with the jalapeno until hot but not boiling. Take off the burner and let the jalapenos steep in the milk mixture for one hour.
- Strain the jalapenos out of the milk and cream mixture and throw the peppers away. Pour the strained milk and cream mixture back into the saucepan.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks.
- In another bowl place remaining 1 cup of cream with a mesh strainer on top. At this time prepare an ice bath in a large bowl that the bowl with the cream will be able to sit in when you are finished mixing the custard.
- Re-heat the milk and cream mixture in the saucepan until warm. Using a ladle, add some of the warm milk and cream to the egg yolks whisking constantly. Repeat with another ladle of warm milk and cream mixture. Add the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan and continue to whisk as the mixture heats up.
- Once the milk and cream mixture is thickened take off the heat and pour through the strainer into the remaining cream. The mixture is thickened if it coats the back of a spoon.
- Place bowl with custard into ice bath to cool. Stir occasionally to help cool the mixture. Be sure not to stir constantly as this will thin out the custard and you will end up with a thinner ice cream.
- Take the bowl of custard out of the ice bath and cover with plastic wrap pressing it onto the surface. This will prevent a skin from forming while it chills. Place in fridge for at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight.
- In the meantime, place cut up pineapple in a blender or food processor and puree. Place puree in the fridge as well to get cold.
- After the custard mixture is adequately chilled, mix in ice cream maker per manufacturer's directions. When ice cream is almost finished freezing, pour in the pineapple puree and let it mix into ice cream.
- Once ice cream is done, take out of ice cream maker and fold in minced jalapenos and place into freezer until firm.
- Serve ice cream garnished with fresh diced pineapple chunks and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls