Author Notes: These savory corn and cheddar cheesecakes have a polenta base and lots of fresh corn in the top cheesecake layer. So perfect with a salad for a light lunch! - Kerstin
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (my yield from 2 ears of corn)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 18-ounce precooked polenta roll, cut into 12 1/2-inch thick round slices (e.g. from Trader Joe's)
- Heat oven to 350?F. Place half the corn kernels in a food processor and pulse until mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Combine the cream cheese and cornstarch in the bowl and beat on medium-high speed with a mixer for 3 minutes or until smooth. Beat in the egg, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in both types of corn (1 cup whole kernels and 1 cup pulsed in the food processor), cheddar cheese, and salt.
- Discard the 2 end pieces of the polenta roll and trim the remaining 10 slices so that each will fit snugly in the bottom of a muffin tin. Place the 10 trimmed round slices in a greased muffin tin. Pour cheesecake mixture evenly on top of each and bake at 350?F for 23 to 27 minutes or until edges are set and middle is slightly wobbly. Cool to room temperature, about one hour, and then refrigerate until well chilled, about one hour. To remove from the pan, use a knife to cut around the edges of one cheesecake and then flip the pan over and remove the cheesecake. Repeat for remaining 9 cheesecakes. Makes 5 servings of 2 cheesecakes each.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob