If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We ended up taking some of the corn off the cob for some of the guests and me if that counts and I thought it considerably more fun than the 12 dozen ears of corn off the cob for the freezer.
About twice a year we get the big pot out to do our version of a low country boil, Frogmore Stew whatever you want to call it and in the end we have two huge platters on the ten foot table. Always fun and this year no leftovers. Amazing and a really big thing during the 4th of July week.
Everyone has their own version around here, there are numerous recipes out there, and we are always making changes. Adding different sausages that include Italian sweet and hot, andouille, smoked sausages and this year a few fire roasted peppers, onions and asiago chicken sausages. You adjust the ingredient amounts according to who eats what ( I have a husband that won't eat clams, but eats everything else in the pot).
The pot for 12 gets pretty full and heavy so we started steaming the clams separately using some of the broth from the big pot, works nicely for for me. This year I had a helper or two and they steamed the clams in EVOO, garlic and fresh herbs, adding the pot broth for the steaming liquid. Wonderful, we proclaimed it the best one pot and one pan meal ever. - ibbeachnana
- 6 cups water
- 1-2 cans of beer
- 1/4 cup Phillips Seafood Seasoning
- 2 small potatoes per person
- 1 small onion per person
- 3 pounds variety of smoked sausages, Italian etc. cut into 3 inch pieces
- 8 ears of corn cut in half
- 5 pounds unpeeled shrimp seasoned with a little seafood seasoning
- 4 dozen littleneck clams
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 3 inch chunks
- 2 lemons quartered, I love roasted lemons. Some for the pot some to serve with the clams and shrimp
- 1 big steamer pot with basket insert
- 2 celery ribs
- Bring the water, beer, seafood seasoning, 1 lemon, celery to a rolling boil. To the basket add the potatoes, small onions and carrots, cover and boil for 10 minutes. Add corn and sausages cook for another 10 minutes. (If making a considerably smaller amount, like for 4 people, toss in the clams next and steam until they are almost open), but for 12 hungry people I now take some of the pot broth and steam the clams separately. Finally add the seasoned shrimp, steam until they turn pink. Lift the basket and pour everything into a huge platter or two, ladle some of the broth over serving extra in little pitchers. Have some cocktail sauce for the shrimp and mustard for the sausages if you like.
Tags: One pot dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
As the Romans "Stew"
A rustic mix of seasonal vegetables
An Italian Spring Stew.
DIY Moss Tabletop Garden
Go play outside!
DIY Herb Rubs
Eat Bagels for Lunch