If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Although sago & tapioca is used widely in Indian cuisine, one does not get to hear of it that often. It is more likely to be found on menus in homes for close family meals & in the form of wafers & poppadums that need to be deep fried.
Sago pearls, are often consumed by devout individuals during the days of fasting. The ironic part is that they tend to be so filling that it completely nullifies any trace of deprivation that fasting is supposed to accomplish!.
The traditional version of this dish uses Sago as the main ingredient with seasoned potatoes & toasted peanuts and is deep fried. This recipe is adapted to a healthier Pan fried style. —Panfusine
Makes 10 pieces
- 1 ear of fresh corn
- 3/4 cup soaked & rehydrated sago or tapioca pearls
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts crushed
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallot
- 1 Jalapeno, deseeded & finely minced
- 1/3 cup finely minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt to taste
- Canola oil for pan frying
- Strip the corn off the cob and pulse once or twice in a food processor to crush them.
- Combine all the ingredients , except the oil, together in a mixing bowl. Sample & adjust for salt & seasoning
- On a non stick skillet, add a teaspoon of oil and heat. Using a large ice cream scoop (or a coffee scoop), drop the mixture into the hot skillet. with the heat on high, press down with a spatula to form a patty. allow to brown on the side below (~ 2 min) before flipping it over to brown the other side.
- Lower the heat & allow to cook for about 3-5 minutes till the tapioca pearls appear to turn translucent. remove from the skillet onto a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve hot with ketchup or hot sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
DIY Storage Made Simple (and Cheap)
Transform the humble shoebox
Transform the humble shoebox.
Summer, please don't go.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Stick it to 'em.
Get your shine on.