Author Notes: This recipe started with opening my fridge and seeing what I had in there. Corn, check. Asparagus, check. Leeks, check. I didn't want to make a quiche, but wanted something tart like with cheese and so this dish was born. It's a wonderful mix and balance of flavors and the crust is a perfect compliment..very much inspired by the olive oil tart crust at chocolateandzucchini.com - yum! - There'sAlwaysPie
Herbed Olive Oil Crust (a la Chocolate & Zucchini)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil to the dry ingredients, mixing with a fork as you pout it in.
- Add water and continue to mix. The dough will start to come together in a ball.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to fit a 10" tart pan.
- Transfer dough to tart pan, trim excess dough and place in fridge for 30 minutes to allow it to rest.
- Place pie weights (or dried rice or beans) on top of the crust and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until lightly browned.
Corn Asparagus Leek Ricotta Tart
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium leeks - sliced and rinsed (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup asparagus - cut up into 1/2" chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic - smashed and minced
- 2 ears of corn - kernels removed from cob
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/8 cup fresh basil - chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat up a large sautee pan with olive oil. Add in leeks, asparagus and garlic and let cook until vegetables start to soften - about 5 minutes or so.
- Add corn to sautee pan and continue to cook until the corn starts to brown and soften. Add in salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme and cook for a few more minutes then remove from heat.
- In a bowl mix ricotta, egg, milk and cream with a whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining thyme and all of the fresh basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour corn, asparagus and leek mixture into the cooked tart shell. Pour ricotta herb mixture over top.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top and tart is set.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob