Author Notes: Do you like corn? How about bourbon? This recipe is a culmination of all things southern. Adjust the honey to make these bourbon-spiked corn cakes more sweet or savory.
Food52 Review: I made MyFareFoodie’s Bourbon-Spiked Corn Cakes with my boyfriend, his friend, and the bf’s roommate. The cakes were easy to make, and we knew we were onto something good when we tasted the batter. The cakes were a beautiful yellow color, while the bourbon added something special. Although, MyFareFoodie suggests adding honey or salt to make them versatile, we followed the recipe’s instructions, but took them in a completely different direction -- brunch! As we fried our cakes, my boyfriend made a delightful jalapeno-honey butter inspired by something we had at Art Smith’s restaurant Table52. Although we didn’t try, I suspect jalapenos in these would be delicious. All in all, there were four thumbs up for this recipe! - cbear1984 - cbear1984
Makes 8 3-inch corn cakes
- 1/2 cup golden corn flour (Masa Harina)
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 ounce bourbon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup fresh corn
- Butter or cooking spray
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together egg, milk, bourbon, and honey in a separate bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until well combined. Cut the corn from the cob and mix into the batter. The corn can be blanched or sautéed before adding it to the batter, but I didn’t feel the need.
- Similar to making pancakes, heat a pan or griddle on medium heat and then brush with butter or spray with cooking spray. Spoon some batter onto the hot surface, aiming to make cakes about 3 inches in diameter. You can of course make larger cakes if you want. The batter does not bubble as much as regular pancake batter does, so keep an eye out for when the cakes need to be turned (Mine took about 2 minutes to brown). When the edges and underneath appear to be cooked, turn the cakes and continue to cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- If you wish to make the cakes sweeter, add more honey. If you want them to be more savory, add more salt. Either way, these bourbon-spiked corn cakes are delicious. Enjoy!