Author Notes: You can easily adapt any of the elements in this appetizer to suit what you have on hand. No potatoes? Try thick-sliced eggplant. Radish-greens aren’t your thing? Any kind of pesto will do. If you’re not into asparagus (or just don’t like taking the time to shave it), maybe throw it on the grill instead, then cut it into manageable segments. - Minimally Invasive
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes
- salt, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Wash potatoes thoroughly, then cut into 1/2″ rounds. Parboil in lots of salted water just until they begin to soften. While potatoes are cooking, spread olive oil on a large, rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with minced garlic. When potatoes are ready, drain and immediately place on tray, turning to coat. Let them sit for at least 1/2 hour to soak up all of the garlicky goodness, then fire up the grill. (You can also toss them with spice blends if you like, but I wanted to keep things basic.) Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until the potatoes have nice grill marks on them and are cooked through — crispy on the edges and soft in the center. Liberal sampling is encouraged at this stage.
- 1 bunch radish greens, thoroughly washed and dried
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or more, to taste)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (or to taste)
- 1 handful pistachios, chopped
- olive oil, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch thick asparagus spears, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Throw the first four ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well-chopped. While processor is running, add olive oil in thin stream until it’s the consistency you like. (I tend to make a thick version that I can thin out later.) Add salt & pepper to taste.
- For the asparagus ribbons, grasp the thick, woody end of the asparagus and run a vegetable peeler down the length of the spear to make ribbons. Toss together with olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper, keeping the dressing light so it isn’t a mess to eat.
- To assemble, spread a little pesto on each potato round and top with a few asparagus ribbons. Devour.