Author Notes: A hot sauce is such a simple combination of a few ingredients, that I can't believe I haven't made more of these. So, so many flavor options, and so many levels of heat! - Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Serves a ton!!
- 6 serrano peppers (trimmed, halved and seeded)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (trimmed, halved and seeded)
- 2 habanero peppers (trimmed, halved and seeded)
- 4 cloves garlic (rough chop)
- 1 spring or small onion (rough chop)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat large saute pan over medium high heat. Add oil, peppers, garlic, onion and a bit of salt to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water and 1/2 cup of the vinegar. Cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and allow to come up to room temperature (about 10 minutes).
- Toss all ingredients into the food process and stream in the rest of the vinegar. Add a bit of salt. Puree the mixture for about 2 minutes to make sure its really smooth. (Optional: Use a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to make it really smooth)
- Bottle and refrigerate for at least 5 days and up to 2 weeks before using.