If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's summer and that means it's prime time for tomatoes. Nothing beats fresh, locally-grown tomatoes, especially heirloom varietals (the uglier the better). I like to roast the peppers and chile over the stove top until charred, to impart a smoky flavor. The anchovy toasts--a couple of anchovies atop a nice piece of crusty bread slathered with tomato and fresh garlic are a perfect accompaniment to a bowl of chilled gazpacho and remind me of my travels through Spain. —wildgreens
- 2 pounds cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red or green pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 small roll, crusts removed, soaked in a little water to soften
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- large pinch smoked hot paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Roast the green pepper and jalapeno over the stove top until charred on all sides. When cool enough to handle, remove the stems and seeds, and roughly chop.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, garlic, and cucumbers.
- Place all the gazpacho ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process to a smooth puree. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with any number of toppings, along with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, a touch of sherry vinegar, and a sprinkle of course sea salt. Garnish: Cucumber, finely diced; Green/red pepper, finely diced; Tomato, finely diced; Chives, finely chopped; Sprig of cilantro; Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil; Sherry vinegar; Coarse sea salt.
- sliced, toasted bread
- cherry tomatoes
- garlic clove, whole
- Oil-packed anchovies, rinsed (2 per slice of bread)
- Chives, for garnish
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Rub the toasted bread with garlic. Slice a couple of cherry tomatoes in half, and rub all over the bread, until completely covered and toasts are red and juicy. Place 2 anchovies on top of each toast. Garnish with a few chopped chives, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
Anything but Watered down
Pair tomato water with pasta
Tomato water: the sauce of summer.
Butter pecan ice cream for impatient cooks.
It's time to travel.
Tomato skins, meet salt.
Put cake on a pedestal.