If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My brother's garden exploded with giant zucchini this week - you know, the 5 pound toddler variety. I really needed to use it up with stuff I already had in the pantry, garden and freezer. Luckily, I had everything I needed on hand. Turned out great, and you could make a zillion variations on this dish, but it makes a great meal with a green salad or Caprese Salad. —Burnt Offerings
- 1 large (4-5 pound) zucchini, or 4 smaller ones.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound sweet italian bulk sausage (or hot)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herbs: basil, oregano, dill and thyme
- 4 ounces package of smoked sun dried tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup homemade or purchased marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Remove the ends of the zucchini, carefully slice it in half lengthwise, and scoop out all the seeds and membranes. Discard the seeds and set zucchini aside.
- Sweat the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent, set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the sausage, rice, herbs, tomatoes, and feta cheese. Add the lightly beaten egg and mix well.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish or casserole large enough to hold the zucchini.
- Divide the stuffing in half and mound it into the zucchini halves. Place the stuffed zucchini in the casserole, pour another 1/4 cup of sauce over the top of the zucchinis.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and place in the center of oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove foil, sprinkle the parmesan cheese on the top of zucchini halves and place back in the oven, uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve with additional cheese and sauce.