If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lumples are simple, classy, subtly sweet and downright adorable. They have an ever so slightly harder exterior and a delicate, crumbly, comforting, forgiving interior. They are warm, nurturing, and, dare I say, a bit maternal.
I prefer King Arthur flour, raw milk, raw or cultured butter. Not necessary but I do insist on whole milk; skim or reduced fat milk will make for a "weaker lumple". - F for Food
Makes 8 lumples
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6-7 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lavender buds
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together.
- Cut butter into small pieces and blend (you may use a pastry blender or fork, but Mom uses her hands) into above mixture until consistency of cornmeal (if you are using lavender buds, this is the time to mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons of the buds).
- Add egg and milk; mix quickly with fork until just blended.
- Add blackberries, raspberries, blueberries or strawberries if you want a berry lumple. My mom usually makes lavender, blueberry lumples and adds only 3 or 4 blueberries to each lumple; she puts in the berries after the lumples are formed and on the cookie sheet).
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
Meyer Lemon Glaze
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar (sifted well)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- Juice of a little less than 1/2 of a Meyer lemon
- Mix well until smooth-if mixture is too thick add another tablespoon of softened butter. As soon as lumples come out of oven, put a heaping teaspoon of the glaze on each lumple. It will self-drizzle because of the heat and meld beautifully with the lumples.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A master class in recipes.
This is poppin'.