Author Notes: There is nothing more all American than a parade and a county fair. I am lucky to live in a small town that has a wonderful 4rh of July parade which leads everyone into the opening of the annual county fair. Elephant Ears, Corn on a Stick, Corn Dogs and humongous Turkey Legs are all standard fare for hungry leave the diet home fair goers.
*Pic is stock - dymnyno
For the Rub:
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, toasted and finely ground
- 1 tablespoon star anise, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
Turkey Leg Grill Sauce
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pomegranite molasses
- 1/2 cup dark mushroom soy sauce (Pearl River Bridge is my favorite)
- 6 TURKEY LEGS
- Mix all the spices and rub liberally over the turkey legs. Tent the legs with tinfoil and roast the legs in a 350 degree oven for about an hour or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Remove from oven.
- Put all the sauce ingredients into a blender and pulse until liquified. The last ingredient, the mushroom sauce will make the sauce very dark. It gives the sauce a great umami flavor.
- Fire up a grill or BBQ until very hot. Place the Legs on the grill and paint with the Grill Sauce. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side and paint with more Grill Sauce. Grill until the skin is caramelized and very browned , but not blackened
- ***Note: While developing this recipe I used chicken legs. Then I used turkey for the final edit. The chicken legs turned out great, too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food