If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is nothing more all American than a parade and a county fair. I am lucky to live in a small town that has a wonderful 4rh of July parade which leads everyone into the opening of the annual county fair. Elephant Ears, Corn on a Stick, Corn Dogs and humongous Turkey Legs are all standard fare for hungry leave the diet home fair goers.
*Pic is stock - dymnyno
For the Rub:
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, toasted and finely ground
- 1 tablespoon star anise, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
Turkey Leg Grill Sauce
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pomegranite molasses
- 1/2 cup dark mushroom soy sauce (Pearl River Bridge is my favorite)
- 6 TURKEY LEGS
- Mix all the spices and rub liberally over the turkey legs. Tent the legs with tinfoil and roast the legs in a 350 degree oven for about an hour or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Remove from oven.
- Put all the sauce ingredients into a blender and pulse until liquified. The last ingredient, the mushroom sauce will make the sauce very dark. It gives the sauce a great umami flavor.
- Fire up a grill or BBQ until very hot. Place the Legs on the grill and paint with the Grill Sauce. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side and paint with more Grill Sauce. Grill until the skin is caramelized and very browned , but not blackened
- ***Note: While developing this recipe I used chicken legs. Then I used turkey for the final edit. The chicken legs turned out great, too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
Good day, sunshine.
Gifts for Mother's Day
Make better cookies.