If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pies are a dime a dozen at most fairs, and bananas can be found at concession stands in all forms as the sweet smell of burnt sugar toffee emanates through the air.. but what if all these flavors were combined? And then, just maybe, what if they didn't raise your risk of heart attack? —Rachelrum
Quinoa Custard & Coconut Cream Topping
- 1 C quinoa flakes
- 3 1/2 C milk (regular or soy)
- 1/2 C maple syrup
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Date Toffee & Bottom Layer
- 1 pie crust (use your favorite recipe)
- 1/4 C dates, finely chopped
- 3/4 C milk (soy or regular)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8'' pie pan. To prepare the toffee, soak the chopped dates in 3/4 C milk.
- Place the quinoa flakes and 1 1/2 C of milk in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Add another 1 1/2 C soy milk and beat well with an electric mixer or handheld blender. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and divide the mixture between 2 bowls.
- To one, add the espresso powder, 2 tsp vanilla, and salt, mix thoroughly and set aside. To the second bowl, add coconut milk, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 heaping tbsp cornstarch, then beat until smooth.
- To make the toffee, blend the dates soaking in milk (and extra milk), coconut oil, brown sugar, and molasses in a food processor until smooth. Then, spread date toffee into the pie crust and top with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Smother bananas with quinoa custard, smooth with a rubber spatula, and chill pie in the refrigerator. Serve cold, topped with coconut cream and cocoa powder.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
Our Latest Contest
Show us your best vegan recipe
Show us your best vegan recipe.
Your new favorite Japanese dish.
We've got the summer blues.
How to use an entire bunch of cilantro.
A better basket.