If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Strawberries and I have an odd relationship. I've been trained to avoid them for most of my life due to my sister's severe allergy to them. She breaks out in hives. So, they were never in the house and I really only ate them at friends' houses and restaurants. Of course they became my favorite fruit. As I grew older I was able to buy them for myself, and I really over did that for awhile. Now I seem to be sensitive to them but last night my boyfriend brought me a ton of very ripe organic strawberries to bake with. So I made him this crumble. It was damn good. - DUZE @BakingBackwards
Serves 4, or one glutton
- 2 large pints very ripe strawberries
- 3 tablespoons organic butter, cut into little pieces
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/3 cup organic dark brown sugar
- 1 shot Glenfiddich scotch whiskey
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- a few turns of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 batch, "my crumble topping", http://www.food52.com/recipes/13669_my_crumble_topping
- Prepare one batch of "my crumble topping" recipe with the following additions: Add another tablespoon of oil to the original recipe, add another teaspoon of fresh black pepper, and 1/2 a teaspoon more vanilla extract. Refrigerate it in a mixing bowl.
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries and cut the fruit in half. Bag in ziplock bags, freeze overnight.
- Remove the frozen fruit from the freezer. Empty into a loaf pan. Top with the butter, lemon, vanilla, olive oil, scotch and spices and sweeteners (sugar and syrup). Use a large spoon to evenly incorporate.
- Top with the crumble topping. Bake at 375 to 400 degrees until golden brown on top and bubbling pink/red around the edges. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Buckle, Slump, Grunt, Crumble, Cobbler, Crisp, Sonker, Pandowdy, and/or Betty
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.