Author Notes: Perfectly ripe summer fruit doesn't need a lot of sugar to turn it into a mouth-watering pie. This Blueberry-Apricot Pie is light on the sugar, full of delicious fruit, and baked in a whole wheat and flax crust. Heck, it's even healthy enough to eat for breakfast! - Out of the Box Food
Makes 1 pie
Whole Wheat & Flax Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons flax meal
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5-6 tablespoons ice water
- Place butter in the freezer for about 15 minutes (to make it extra cold).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flax meal and sea salt.
- Cube butter into 1/2? pieces and add to flour mixture.
- Blend together with pastry cutter, or pulse briefly with food processor until crumbly with small pea-sized pieces of butter (Do not over mix or crust will not be flaky)
- Drizzle ice water over flour mixture and toss with a fork to combine. If you can squeeze a small amount of dough and have it stick together, dough is done. Otherwise, drizzle another teaspoon of ice water over dough.
- Turn dough out onto smooth surface and divide into four pieces. Using the heal of your hand, press dough forward a couple times to distribute the fats. Do not overwork the dough.
- Scrape all dough back together and place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Press down to form a 4-5? disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to use.
Bluberry-Apricot Pie Filling
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 large apricots, sliced
- 1/3 cup raw/granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or 5 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out 1/2 of dough and lay in pie dish.
- In a large bowl, mix cornstarch/tapioca with lemon juice and sugar.
- Add blueberries and apricots. Toss to coat.
- Pour berry mixture into pie dish.
- Roll out 2nd half of dough. Cut out decorative shapes and lay cutouts over the top of the pie.
- Brush crust with beaten egg wash.
- Place pie on foil lined baking sheet and place baking sheet w/ pie in oven.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling. (cover the edges of the pie with foil when brown to prevent burning)
- Let rest to set. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food