If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe (originally from Aretha Frankenstein's restaurant in Chattanooga, TN) is the ideal I-just-woke-up-from-a-waffle-dream waffle, a morning-of alternative to the overnight yeasted kind. The cornstarch in the batter helps tamp down gluten formation, making these waffles silky and moist inside with a crust as thin and crisp as an eggshell. - Genius Recipes
Serves 2 to 4
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (or a combination)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter and pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat a waffle iron. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and pure maple syrup or hold in a 200 degree oven, directly on the rack (don't stack them or they'll get soggy). These also reheat very well in the toaster.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Butter, Butter, Repeat
Puff pastry: No pain, all the gain.
Puff Pastry Primer
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Recipe of the Day
All the spring pastabilities.
That was a close shave.