Author Notes: Crab balls are like mini crab cakes that can be found at Bay oriented festivals and fairs throughout the summer. They are easily transportable in a little paper bag and just the right size to pass and share. Crab ball recipes are personal to each family, and in our family there is often dispute about the best approach. I like to waver slightly from the traditional, using fresh bread crumbs to keep the ball moist and a bit of minced red bell pepper and scallion for sweetness and flavor. Some people like these dipped in traditional cocktail sauce, or perhaps and Old Bay aioli; however, I think they are best with just a squeeze of lemon over top. - meganvt01 - meganvt01
Food52 Review: These are fantastic! I love crab in general, and these were well-seasoned, moist, and tender. I'm not usually a big fan of fried foods, but weren't too greasy. I topped them with just a few generous squeezes of lemon juice, as recommended, and they were delicious (very rich, though, so I couldn't get through as many as I thought I would). I approve! - someonewhobakes - someonewhobakes
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat, picked through carefully for shells
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (just pulse good white bread with crusts removed in your food processor)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon Worstershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, minced
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Carefully combine all the above ingredients. Shape the mixture into 1 inch round balls.
- Chill the balls in a refrigerator for at least an hour. They can also be frozen at this point, and defrosted prior to cooking in the future.
- Heat the oil, 2 inches deep, in a deep pot to 350 degrees. Drop in a few balls at a time, cooking for 5 minutes until crispy and cooked through. Drain on a rack or paper plate. Cool slightly and then serve with lemon wedges or sauce if you desire.