If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fish tacos are a part of seafood festivals and coastal county fairs and while I love the traditional Baja battered and breaded versions of fish and shrimp tacos, I grill ponzu marinated shrimp for my lighter version. Dress the slaw mix with the Asian dressing as well, about 1/4 cup. Dressing inspiration, Mark Bittman’s Ponzu.
Two fantastic food cultures put together. - ibbeachnana
Ponzu sauce and shredded slaw
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Sake
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 inch piece kelp (konbu)
- 2 tablespoons prepared seaweed (Furikake-Nori-Tama)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon prepared Bonito (FurikakeKatsuo-Mirin)
- 1/2 head shredded cabbage
- 1/8th head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot peeled and shredded
- 1-2 cups broccoli slaw
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- Mix the cabbages, broccoli slaw, and carrot, cover and refrigerate until ready to dress. Combine remaining ponzu ingredients. Allow to sit several hours, refrigerated. Taste for sweetness and tartness, pull the Konbu out after 2 hours for this particular application. Taste again to see if it needs a little more sugar. Dress slaw just before serving.
- Marinate peeled and deveined large shrimp in 1/4 - 1/2 cup Ponzu for about 20 minutes. I grill the shrimp on a very hot grill in a preheated blazing hot grill basket (coat basket with a little oil to prevent sticking), Toss the shrimp in pouring the sauce over, turn shrimp once. Total grilling time for me was 3 ½- 4 minutes. Serve on a large platter with warm grilled tortillas and garnishes of pink chili lime sauce, fresh cilantro, chopped chives, red onion cilantro and lime relish, Pico de gallo, lime wedges, cabbage slaw, jalapenos. San Diego Old Town Margaritas are fantastic with shrimp tacos.
Pink chili lime sauce
- 1/ 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1-2 adobo chiles finely chopped and some of the adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup or sweet chili sauce
- 1 key lime, juiced + a little zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all chili lime sauce ingredients. The chiles can be very hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Lettuce love vegetables.
This is poppin'.