Author Notes: My husband loves corn dogs, but wanted something that wasn't deep fried. He went through a phase where he created a cornbread dough that he formed around the hot dogs and then baked...they were ok...but left a bit to be desired. So I thought of a way to make it even easier, why not make cornbread batter, chop up some hot dogs and mix them in and then bake them in a muffin pan. Ta da! Dip in mustard and you've got a quick and yummy snack to satisfy your fair food cravings. This recipe is very simple but great because you can add in whatever you want flavor wise - jalapenos to heat it up, cumin to make it smokey, maybe some herbs..whatever you like! - There'sAlwaysPie
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk - if the mixture is too dry you may need to add more.
- 4 hot dogs chopped - the better the quality the better the taste!
- 1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese - to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease muffin tin.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Add wet to dry and mix until everything is just wet. Fold in hot dogs and cheese.
- Pour batter into muffin tin and bake about 20 minutes or until golden on top. Serve with ketchup and mustard.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food