Author Notes: Another summertime pasta! The intention for this one is fresh ingredients served at room temperature - I mean really who wants a steaming bowl of anything when the thermostat reads 102 in the shade? Though while we were eating last night Mr L, nephew and nephews girlfriend all pointed out that it would be good chilled too (a theory I will confirm or deny at lunchtime - leftovers!) - aargersi
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes - halved (I have red and yellow - black would be great but the stupid store didn't have any)
- 1/2 sweet onion - Texas 1015 here, Walla Walla or Vidalia are good too
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup very good olive oil
- 2 cups (dry measure) orechiette (say that out loud a few times - it's fun!)
- a small handful of basil
- a smaller handful of oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan plus more for serving the Cheese Hounds at the table
- salt and pepper
- Put the halved cherry tomatoes in a large bowl (the pasta is going in there too so make sure it's large enough!). Cut the onion - I slice the half into rainbows and then cut those in 1/3 - that's about the size I like. Add the oil and vinegar, a pinch of salt and a couple grinds of pepper. Let that marinate on the counter - not the fridge! - for about an hour.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Chop the herbs and toss them with the tomatoes and onions along with the red pepper. Cook the pasta according to directions, then drain and toss into the bowl with the tomatoes. Stir in the cheese, then let the whole mixture hang out for about 15 or 20 minutes before you serve.
- Get some more cheese, a cold glass of that pink wine you are hooked on, and dig in!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes