Author Notes: This is an easy salad that is from my garden, or, you can find the same fresh herbs at the local farmers' market. The cherry tomatoes are the first tomatoes in my garden to ripen and they produce prodigiously all summer long. The salad can be enjoyed alone or piled on grilled meat or fish. (last night I had it on grilled lamb) The important thing when preparing the herbs is to painstakingly remove each leaf from its' stem so that the result is not bitter. The tomatoes not only contrast beautifully in color with the herbs, they also contribute a burst of acidity to the salad. - dymnyno
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup oregano leaves, minced
- 1 cup basil leaves, minced
- 1 cup mint leaves, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar (I make my own vinegar which is very balanced and mild)
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- After you have minced the parsley, oregano, mint and basil , mix in the oil, vinegar and red pepper flakes.
- Put the cherry tomatoes into a large zip lock (freezer strength) baggie and using the flat side of a meat hammer, break all the tomatoes up. You can also use your hands to do this.(it's like popping bubble wrap)
- Pour the tomatoes and all their juices into the herbal mixture and mix up with a fork. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes