If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I learned a new whole grain pate brisee pastry while I was at King Arthur Flour baking camp. It seems perfectly suited for a cherry tomato tart. This tart builds on layers which culminate in the fresh cherry tomatoes. The secret ingredient is actually the mustard. All the flavors blend together to make this surprisingly savory, tangy, and fresh all at the same time. I made several mini cherry tomato tartlets, but this recipe will make one 9 inch tart; a tartlet is featured in the photographs. - Sagegreen
Makes one 9 inch pie
- 1.5 cups unbleached quality all purpose flour
- .25 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- .5 teaspoons sea salt
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, chilled
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced and lightly salted
- 1 fresh garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 ounces French mustard
- 12 ounces artisan goat cheese, sliced thin
- .5 teaspoons minced fresh oregano and thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Italian parsley
- about half a pint of cherry tomatoes, black preferred, sliced in halves
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (1-2 tbl.)
- Maldon salt flakes or kosher salt to taste
- fresh milled black peppercorns, to taste
- sprig of basil for final garnish
- Combine the flours and salt from the pastry list in a mixing bowl. Cut and using your fingers rub in the chilled butter in small chunks. Add enough ice water so the dough comes together in a ball. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Roll out the chilled pastry to 1/8 inch thick and line a 9 inch tart or pie pan. Then pop in the fridge to keep the butter from melting while you work through the next steps.
- Heat the butter. Add the chopped onions and garlic over medium high heat. Stir in the sugar. Cook until caramelized. Then remove from heat. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take out the pie crust. Spread a layer of mustard on the bottom. Add a layer of thinly sliced goat cheese; cover the mustard up completely with the cheese. On top of this place the fresh chopped herbs.Layer the caramelized onions and garlic over the herbs.
- Next finish the filling by nestling the cherry tomato halves across the top. Sprinkle some artisan salt and pepper on the tomatoes. Lightly drizzle some olive oil over them.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes. Cool before serving. Garnish with a sprig of basil in the center. Take a bite of all the flavors that have oozed together.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
Freeze It Right There
Meet your herby, stir-fry savior.
The stir-fry savior.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
You won't be board with this game.